Monday, December 26, 2011

Goals for 2012?

Goals for 2012, really?  I read MsRitz's blog on Runner's World about how her goals from 2011 mostly failed and what she's learned from that.

That sounded like a smart thing to do, certainly a great benefit of keeping records of such things.  So I started thinking, what were my goals this time last year?  The question stumped me, big time!

I didn't have any.

Really.  I thought about the possibility of participating in The Tour of the Tucson Mountains, a 73 mile ride.  But at that time I didn't have a suitable bike and my longest ride had been 33 miles, which took me almost 3 hours!  I couldn't run without my knees ballooning, leaving me unable to walk without significant pain for the day.

A year ago at this time I was still just trying to exercise every day that I worked.

A lot happened in 2011.  I did the 73 mile ride, and soon that became a distance that was ... nothing to worry about.  I now run regularly and participated in a few 5K's, a 10K and a half marathon, as well as a 111 mile bike race.  I placed in my age group in all runs save the half marathon (ran in 1:42:15), winning in my age group in a 5K and the 10K (though that was crazy-small!).  Yeah, I guess I'm bragging, and really shouldn't.  But I'm also mentioning to show how quickly things changed in 2011.

So goals for 2012?  At first I thought I didn't have any, but I really do.


  1. Run with structure and planing.  I've mapped out how I should increase mileage in order to promote the likelihood of staying healthy.  
  2. Get my weight down to 180.  Right now I'm hovering around 200.  Every time I've reaching this point something has happened and I've not broken through.  Taking the next step would be a huge step towards accomplishing my next goals.
  3. 5K time:  Break 18 minutes.  In my first 5K I was under 21.  The next was under terrible conditions and I was still in the 20's.  I've done exactly 3 speed workouts in my life.  I run about 12 to 15 miles a week.  I can do this!
  4. Half Marathon Time:  Break 1:30. This is about 12 minutes faster than my half marathon this year.  I wasn't prepared for that race.  Again, this is a lofty goal, but one I think I can do.
  5. Run the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim.  This is something my brother-in-law and I have talked about and would really like to do in the fall of 2012.  .
  6. Run my first marathon: I'd like to run my first marathon in 2012, and break 3:45, though completion is the real goal for the first.  
  7. Qualify as a Platinum Cyclist with PBAA: I'm going to make my first serious shot at this at the anniversary of my first competitive event, The Tour of the Tucson Mountains, in late April.  It'll be 73 miles I need to ride in under three hours.
  8. Run 1,400 miles.
  9. Ride 7,500 miles.
  10. Be Humble, Thankful and Gracious: I need to keep in mind why I exercise. I want to make the most of the time I have.  I exercise as to not be wasteful.  The opportunity, and ability, to do these things is truly a gift, one I need to be thankful for.
Regarding goals:  Goals are supposed to be lofty.  The way I approach setting a goal is I pick what I think I can reasonably do and then add a touch more.

There you have it.  My goals for 2012 for all to witness as I either fail, or succeed.  Either way, I plan to struggle and know I'll suffer as I work towards meeting those goals.

Here's to a great 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment