Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Human Divining Rod

This morning I woke at 1:15, ready for my 4:15 run.  False alarm, someone just sent me a text!  Who texts at 1:15 am?   People that don't:
  1. Have jobs
  2. Run in the morning
In his defense:  "Respond when you get the chance, but I might be working."  Pretty funny really because there goes #1. 

Anyhow, I greeted 4:15 with excitement.  Between being under the weather, a 111 mile bike race exactly 30 days ago, a half marathon 8 days ago and a tough 5K Saturday, I took two days in a row off!  That's right folks, you heard it here first.  I took two days in a row off from exercise.

Now, Sunday morning my left foot looked like it belonged to a geriatric diabetic and yesterday I delivered my old bike to Tucson (sold it).  I actually felt a twinge of sadness when the guy walked away with it.  I lost the better part of 90 pounds on that bike, rode it almost 5,000 miles! It's okay though because I have a new bike.

Back on track:  I hit the running path by the gym at 4:30 after my usual warm up of 50 pushups, jump rope, lunges and squats.  I felt good really.  My legs were a little sore, spots here and there waking up.  My feet really hurt.  But it felt awesome to run.  As I passed mile one the path ended and I had to travel across about 100 yards of dirt before hitting the road.  Now, mind you, there are no street lights, the moon has set.  It's total darkness.  There was a "spot," about 4 feet by 2 feet, that looked darker than the rest of the ground.  I stepped right in it.

I cannot walk on water!  But I can find water in the desert!

My right foot went completely under, above the ankle.  Left foot went in second, but only the first half of my foot.  I finished the last two miles blister free, laughing at myself.  How silly is that?

Hey, it was 4:40 in the morning at that point. 

The best part was the weird looks I got when I made it back to the gym to do the 20 minutes or so of circuit training I do on short run mornings.  I was muddier than I thought!  But like in the movie Fight Club, everybody stared, nobody asked.

1 comment:

  1. It's okay to get into water that's up to your ankles - as long as you didn't dive in head first!

    ReplyDelete