Saturday, April 21, 2012

Join Me: May Running Challenge

Quick history:

  • 7/2010 I weighed about 300 pounds
  • 1/2011 I began training for a bicycle race, I was too heavy to run
  • 7/2011 I began running, but injury after injury due to over-eagerness
  • 1/2012 I began training for the same bicycle race ... why not?
In between I've run a half marathon and a trail half marathon (I didn't know they were significantly different until AFTER the trail half).  I've run a 10K and a handful of 5K's.  But, I'm dying to pile up some miles on my feet like I have on the bike.  

So in May, on dailymile.com, I'm going to post a challenge, Feed the Beast.  It's titled in honor of my new motto

Basically it's a running challenge...accumulate 150 miles in the month is the goal.  I've not run over 100 in a month before, so it'll be a stretch.  However, I think I can do it.  Here's my plan:

  1. Run six days a week
  2. Run 4 miles minimum each day (16 miles)
  3. Each week a long run of at least 10 miles (10 miles)
  4. Each week a tempo or speed run that covers at least 7 miles (7 miles) 
That would get me to about 146 for the month.  I think I can do that.

So here's the link.

If you're on dailymile, please add me as a friend:  http://www.dailymile.com/people/PhilipB2

My goals for the month are to, of course, complete the 150 miles, but also to remain healthy, lose 10 pounds, and then in the beginning of June, break 20 minutes on a 5K.  While that may happen in June, it would be from the work done in May. 

With that said, here's a great experience I had today on my ride: 


No comments:

Post a Comment