Thursday, March 8, 2012

I've Gotta New Drug (Think Huey Lewis)

You know the song.  Well, I think I've found one.

It wasn't long ago that if I had some accumulating stress my mind would wander to beer.  Now, over the past 18 months I've drank on rare occasions and was never much for just getting hammered for the sake of being hammered.  But still, when stresses would build my mind would wander to beer.  I'd typically buy a high quality beer and some snacks, watch some movies or cook on the grill outside. I'd stay up until midnight or so, a few hours of quiet time, and feel much better the next day.

Then yesterday, I was thinking about all of the things going on, all of the stuff on the horizon and I thought, "I'd love go just bury myself in a race." It wasn't the type of thought that was a conclusion or decision, just a random thought that floated through my head.

And yeah, that's exactly what I want to do.  I want to sign up for some races and just tear it up!

That said, I have a half marathon (I mistakenly said half pikermi on FB today!) this Sunday.  It looks quite intimidating, definitely a place where I can just bury myself.

Many things brought this change, like change of life style and such.  But also because of increased endurance, more focus is required to have my heart rate where it should be.  On my long ride Sunday (76 miles I think), I focused on each mile being under 3:00 minutes.  I did that for 35 miles.  What was in my head ... nothing but mile 36. 

Sunday ... on mile 9, what will be on my mind?  Probably how much cactus is in my leg!

No comments:

Post a Comment