Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cross Training Intensity ... Got It! (And a Blister Pic)

"It's not that I don't like you, but I want to hurt on this run.  It's the only way I get better."

That's what a friend of mine sometimes says to people on group runs.  If they can keep up, more power to them, but otherwise, it's not personal. 

I received many great responses to my concerns/frustration about not having dropped weight for about 9 months or so.  It's true, the number on the scale is just a number and that eventually it'll drop again.  In the mean time, I should keep doing what I'm doing, eating right, resting properly, exercising and so on.

And Montana Tim suggested the cross training was beneficial...which means to me, hit the cross training harder than before. 

So I did. 

Before this afternoon's workout, I did 150 pushups, 30 pullups, 40 crunches, 60 seconds of planks, 20 one-legged squats, 40 lunges and 500 reps on the jump rope.

Because of life-in-general, I had to cancel my planned training ride, but did have enough time for a 5 mile run.  I wasn't sure if I should hit the road or not, my legs still totally toast from Sunday's fiasco.

Once I did, I channeled the voice of a friend of mine I quoted at the beginning...only I was trying to leave myself.  I've not been able to run very hard for a long, long time and if I could, I planned on it today.  Let's get some intensity in these runs since I couldn't do it on the bike today!

The run totaled 5 miles in 40:48.  The first mile was slow and easy, just loosening up a bit, in 8:53.  Mile two was 8:06, mile three 8:05.  I was feeling good, tired, leaden-legs, but injuries felt okay enough to open up a bit more.  Mile four was 7:01, then the last mile I dialed it back again at 8:42. Next time, I think I'll make two of the miles in the low 7 minute range as I felt pretty good.

The only bad part is the blister.  It's been a problem toe, but this came out of nowhere!

How did it feel to run with some intensity for the first time since mid-January?  Liberating.  I'll dial it back for the next few days, but next week I'm going to try and let a little more out. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment