Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Nice to Suffer by Choice Again ... BRICK TRAINING!!

I should get a shirt that says, "Yeah, I'm new."

I've registered for a duathlon in February.  It'll be my first.  One cool thing about just getting into this healthier lifestyle is all of these new experiences!

To prepare for the new experience I need a new training routine.  Brick training is what all of the cool duathletes do.  I researched and read and followed the suggestion that to begin just complete a one mile jog after each bike ride.  No problem...I thought.

Yesterday I did a short ride, about 16 miles, but I hammered it pretty good.  As soon as I finished I jumped off the bike, swapped the riding shoes for running shoes, threw off my gloves, and after being reminded, removed my helmet for a 1 mile run.

It killed me.  Now I had already gone for a short, slow jog that morning followed by about thirty minutes of circuit training at the gym, but that's not unusual for me.  This was going to be a lot harder than I thought!

Today I went on an easy, but longer, ride with my cousin, who is just getting into riding.  All told I rode almost 28 miles, but at a much slower pace than normal.  I did the same run afterwards, remembering to remove my helmet without a prompt today.  This time the mile was 8:22, which isn't fast, but all things considered but hard enough.  (Yesterday's mile was about 10 minutes, I accidentally stopped the watch for about 400 feet.)  I certainly wasn't laying it out for the run today, just trying to hold a certain exertion level.  I'm happy with how I made myself suffer.

So now I have a race day goal.  Here's the race:  2 mile run, 17 mile ride, 2 mile run.

First run:  14 minutes
Ride:  45 minutes
Second run:  14 minutes
Transition totals:  1 minute ???

Total time:  1:14

The trick will be to NOT run the first two miles fast.  The first two miles in fourteen minutes is very attainable, not much of a problem.  The second two will be the tough part!  I'm a stronger rider than I am a runner, and if I can beat my goal, it'll probably happen on the bike.

Anyhow, it's good to be done suffering from illness and be back to suffering under by my own intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment