Saturday, September 17, 2011

She Almost Puked...SCORE!

My wife can watch the freakiest, most disgusting things on television.  My daughters and I have to ban certain shows from being viewed.  No open-heart surgeries, liposuction or any of the like being viewed in this house when we're home!

Last night I got home from the fair where my daughters are showing rabbits.  I took the day off from work, but still got up at 4:30 and went for a run, a strong run at that.  It's been a while since I've had a run like that.  I got home at around 8:30 in the evening.  I plop on the couch, turn on the boob-tube and poured myself the one beer I purchased as a reward (for what, I don't know).  I pulled off my sock and noticed I had a torn toe nail.  I pulled it off and it was the ENTIRE nail.

Oh, I thought, this is gonna be sah-weeeet.

My wife has a foot problem.  It apparently stems from working in a nursing home and having to use power tools to grind growths of various colors and textures from the feet of geriatrics.

I showed her the nail and she instantly teared up, turned red and was as visibly upset as I've seen (I've known her since I was 14).

"THAT'S NOT NATURAL!  WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?"

"Why, because I showed you or because I lost a nail?"

And like in a good monster show, I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

So, my question to the runners is, what type of a mile-stone is losing a nail?  Have I arrived?

In other related news, I've learned the value of keeping an exercise log during this long injury recovery.  I use dailymile.com.  I noticed that I had a few "off" runs in a row and took an extra day off, redoubled my icing and stretching.  Boom, back at it better than before.  I'm still not 100% recovered, but am feeling more confident and stronger daily.  The strength training has really improved my cycling in the hills...seemingly over-night.

And regarding weight loss...I'm down around 200, though not 195 yet.  Last weekend was a family reunion and this weekend I'll be eating at the county fair for three days...so I might gain back the 90 pounds I've lost this year.

Last issue, I've had two people wonder if I'm very ill, the illness being the reason for weight loss.  People don't really want to believe that diet and exercise, not drastic measures or something in pill form, are the keys to weight loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment