Friday, June 3, 2011

Sometimes Pride Cometh AFTER the Fall

Today I found a new 'while-running' recovery method. Warning, a little bit of a bloody picture below.

Today was my long run, and my longest to date too. I'd already run 19 miles this week but wanted to get 25 and knew I couldn't run Saturday or Sunday. I had run a lot of hills and was sore when I woke up this morning.

My run today was 6 1/2 miles and I wanted to run a 9 minute pace. I knew it wouldn't be hard until the last mile when there would be a significant climb. All told the gain for the run was 1,140 feet.

Maybe it was from being sore, but I was tired at mile 3. My feet were dragging a bit and I was beat. I kept the pace, if you can call 9 minute miles a pace. Then, I discovered a new way to catch your breath: fall!

I was running near the edge of the road, an asphalt back road that went by a rock quarry, and I stumbled in a pot hole and went all the way to the ground. I laid on the ground doing an inventory: was I hurt or injured? Hurt, good.

Pride cometh before the fall, except in the case when nobody sees you fall and you notice them coming. I heard a car coming around the corner and hopped up to save face. When I got up my ankle was barking at me, my knee stung and my hands were skinned. But, I wasn't tired anymore!

I thought I'd share this little pic of the left hand.


Anyhow, nothing major and I finished the run, though my time suffered. When I finished I was pretty tired and sore. Today probably should've been my off day. Oh well.

On a side note, my weight has been stuck for about 6 weeks. I've been between 211 and 216 or so since late/mid April. My diet has been stable, nothing majorly out of sorts, and my exercise has been steady. My body fat has been dropping and I've been putting on muscle, visibly so. But, to run well, I need to drop weight. I'm thinking I'm going to change my gym routine and do more body resistance exercises and higher repetition lifting.

I think I'll give it another week before deciding anything on those lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment