Monday, September 13, 2010

Day Off, Unscheduled

In the past I've had a number of times where I was going to get back in shape. I usually start off slow and build momentum and right about then, I get injured. I want to avoid that mistake.

Last week I ran 10 miles, which may have been too much too soon. I don't believe I injured anything, but this morning I was still sore and my left knee and hip hurt. They hurt Saturday too, and I ran anyway, they were fine during the run. But today, I decided I'd take the day off. I've got 2 1/2 years to achieve my goal, so pace and patience will be important. Another thing to consider is that I can no longer take ibuprofen which is awesome for minor inflammation and so on. It would definitely help today!

In the meantime, especially until I drop a lot of weight, I need to have an alternate, low impact but high intensity cardio program for days like these. So I'm looking at elliptical machines, exercise bikes, real bicycles, and boxing stuff. This is also a cue to redouble my efforts on fixing my diet.

I have done better with serving size but have a long ways to go. I have done better with eating more frequently, but have a long ways to go. I have cut out sweets. I have chosen more appropriate foods, but have a long way to go. I have cut back on beer, but need to cut it completely.

Anyhow, this will be a tough week because of how it started...not running but thinking. When running, especially right now at the beginning, there are many victories which leave me feeling positive and charged. Today, no run, no victory. Time to get organized!

No comments:

Post a Comment