Monday, October 3, 2011

Bad Run, Good Run...We Succeed Because We Fail

Saturday's trail run was terrible.  As I mentioned in my last post I was slow, sore and when I finished I was totally exhausted.  I was exhausted for the entire day, like a zombie on Nyquil.

Sunday I had time to reflect on the run.  I reviewed my training plans.  I was beginning to worry about not being able to do well on the race and that worry devolved into fears of not being able to complete the half marathon.  I want to run 13.1 miles in under 2 hours.  I've not been able to do any training at all because of a hip/hamstring issue.  I completely sucked at a 5 mile trail run...how was this going to work?

I wanted a chance at redemption Monday morning.  I had hoped that my problems were fatigue and heat and maybe just a bad day.  Hoping to do better, I couldn't sleep Sunday night.  I got up at 3:30 am, an hour before my 4:30 alarm.  I needed to do better.  I am better than that performance.

At 4:30 I got out of bed, brushed my teeth and did my pushups, crunches and some new hip exercises I'm trying out.  I was out of the door by a quarter to five for my hilly six mile run.

I kicked butt.  I decided to speed up a bit more than I've allowed myself over the past months.  I pulled down the first two miles in just over 14 minutes.  I hit the hills and then finished the last mile, which climbs about 200 feet, in 8:10.  I wouldn't allow myself to really push hard as my number one priority is still to finish healthy.

I feel encouraged and revitalized.  Redoubling efforts after failure ... yeah, now I feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment