Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Refocus

I haven't run in three days. I can't sleep, literally. I'm glad it's summer vacation because I didn't fall asleep until 4 am last night. I did have a great workout at the gym, and did some intense cardio on an Arc machine for 45 minutes. Oh well.

But during my waking hours I was able to read a little bit about training (running) and able to think about base fitness. My problem, I realize, is that I'm in decent cardiovascular shape from bicycling. My resting heart rate before I started running was in the mid/high 40's and now is in the low/mid 50's, after running. Yet, while being in cardiovascular shape, I'm not in running condition. All of those little support muscles and tendon integrity aren't a match for my cardiovascular fitness.

I get tired, but am very rarely anywhere close to winded. So as a result, I run farther than I should and do so with increasingly poor form which leads to injury.

This all became exposed when I started getting too excited about running. Originally, the plan was to run 4 to 6 days a week with my 12 year old daughter. Well, she went to her grandparents house and, when the cats away, the mice will play...I started running too far. She came back and I was already in a different gear and had lost sight of the goal: base building.

So here's my plan: I'll cut back the miles and supplement with bike riding and swimming.

Week Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Total
19-Jun 5 3 5 3 off 6 off 22
26-Jun 5 3 5 4 off 7 off 24
3-Jul 6 3 6 4 off 7 off 26
10-Jul 3 off 5 3 off test off 14
17-Jul 6 4 6 4 off 8 off 28
24-Jul 6 4 7 4 off 10 off 31
31-Jul 7 5 7 4 2 10 off 35
7-Aug 4 off 5 3 off test off 15

This way, by the end of the summer I'll be safely running 35 miles a week and ready to jump to about 40 soon. There is not any specific training here, just logging miles. Right now we're doing more than 24 a week, but I think some caution would be smart.

Also, IF I feel it's safe, on the Fridays I would permit myself a light job of two to three miles.

How does that sound?

No comments:

Post a Comment